Another signature day in the saddle of the Good Horse Reloaded. As you know (owing to the unforgivable lack of a blog post yesterday) I was in Manchester on Tuesday having a meeting and in the process having a good time. Back in Wales now and the code fest continues, and seemingly as a result of my short break (and a rather nice Irish Coffee I had on Monday from a rather nice bar-dude) I have ACHIEVED one of my private goals of getting the 'Run To The River' level up to 60 fps!
And how did I manage that I hear you scream! Well...first I fixed a bug which caused ALL the grass to render in the shadow camera renders, which is not required at all, and then second thing was to detect (using some occlusion commands I wrote a while ago) whether the water quad was rendering any pixels that where visible on the screen. If that value was zero, I skipped the reflection camera render. These two measures saw me jump from 40 fps up to 60 fps and the end of one of my little goals.
A New Hope
I need a new 'mini' goal now of course. Not the usual stuff that we all know needs doing, just something I can giggle at when I've achieved it. To keep it simple, my new goal is to get over 100 fps on the same sample level as I think it is reasonable to expect a small compound with a few buildings and characters in should not tax a professional games engine too much, and as the goal is not 'mandatory' it should make the achieving of it all the sweeter!
Another goal I'm aiming for is to get back on day shift. It's fair to say I'm not feeling any worse than I did last week, but my body does feel out of sorts. Going back on the old 9 to 5 is my first step to correcting this case of affairs, and as the time is 6:35 I'm going to clock off and get an early night. Thursday will see the final coding of the True Imposter system, but this time with some proper maths!!