A shot of my shadow test prototype without pre-bake
A shot of my shadow test prototype with pre-bake
The above is the level I am using to conduct my shadow testing, that is, one building on the landscape with some barrels and crates. Nice and quick to load and easy to confirm the existence of shadows and check frame rate.
Here is another shot I took during the call at 4PM, and a suggestion of things to come with the new pre-bake step in the software. Nice how the light catches the barrel and stretches into the tent. Once we have interior static lights from lanterns, candles and perhaps a small fire, it should be awesome!
Have another 20 minutes or so to bash the shadow render from it's current 11% down to 1% (after all it's just one building on a simple render target). I commented out the offending function highlighted by VTUNE and it went from 180fps to 220fps with no visual difference so I need to make a saving here before moving on.
You would think with the progress made my list is being demolished, but every day I have new ideas and thoughts about performance improvements, and add to the list. It's as long as it was when I started, but at least the engine is better for it and hopefully I can make up a day or two as I start to work on the original items such as static batching of lightmapped geometry and finding out why fonts are taking 64MB of video memory and 50MB of system memory :)