Head Buried In Code
Only a quick update today as I cannot really show exciting screen shots as all my art are place holders and all the magic is happening in code. I decided to clean up the code for the next step in advancing the buffer system, and in doing so slightly messed up the functionality. All back to normal now and moving progress again but was touch and go for a moment.
When coding to render polygons, you really only have the polygons visibility to tell you when things are going 'sort of' well. I know there are such wonderful tools as PIX and really awesome DirectX debugger viewers, but stuck back in DirectX 9 I am not sure I can take advantage of these helpers.
Still, I can continue plugging away using the old fashioned debugging technique of changing a little bit then running it to see if everything messed up, and when it does, reverse a little to see what you run over :)
The Story So Far
Still coding the it which spawns off multiple buffers when new reference data comes in. It's something I don't want to rush, but hopefully I will be able to post a screen shot Friday of blank segments being drawn to the screen and held in place by my new vertex and index buffers.
I have also found it imperceptive to find and buy a car in the next week or so. I figured as I planned to spend the rest of the year in my code cave I did not need wheels and so got rid of my last car, choosing to use a rent-a-car when I absolutely needed to roll. Turns out this does not go smoothly when the underlying plans change from day to day :) Seems I will need some wheels after all. It won't be anything flash, just a wheel in each corner and an engine that won't explode on the motorway.