Tuesday 9 April 2013

Tuesday Bits

Death By A Thousand Cuts

After a brief phone call with Rick today, I realised that 24 hours, a plate of beans and a round of toast was enough to completely side track my brain into replaying the old mind set of answering emails, dealing with little bits of jobs here and there, and not actually spending a great deal of time on Reloaded. 

Yes, all the tasks where important to some degree, but they seemed to automatically get placed on a high priority for the simple fact they cluttered my inbox.  Back in the day, we did not have in-boxes  or emails for that matter, and a lot of ruthless development got done.

Some Ruthless Development

As of today, I am going to play a game I like to call 'Ruthless Reloaded Development' and see how it pans out. Many worthy causes will be sacrificed this week, but it's an experiment I am curious to see the outcome from.  First quick job is to finish the memory management of displaced texture memory from the real time light mapper and get it leak free.  From there, I can drop it into the main engine and see what it looks like for performance and visuals.

In other camps, Mark is fired up to produce a proximity mine for our latest munition prototype, and also to begin creation of the new character template for Reloaded which I intend to be very awesome indeed.  I might be showing videos for a while, but I think I can show you the cool artwork as it comes in.

We also have our 2D artist producing mock-ups for the new IDE and map editor visuals as well, so hopefully I can show you the various themes we will be choosing from. The idea is to give FPSC a totally new modern look and of course resolve those little interface niggles we have come to know and love.

A Day Of Two Halves

As I woke up at noon today, I have promised myself a few more hours this evening to make up for my lie-in.  If I have not cracked the real time light mapping memory leak and added it into the main engine I will be most vexed.  I will be able to report my progress on Wednesday's blog and let you know how it went.

Signing Off

For the rest of this week my email inbox will be playing second fiddle to booting up the Reloaded PC and getting stuck in, so I apologise in advance if anyone is waiting around for a reply.  Consider me cave-bound!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lee

    You need to be very careful about declaring you "want to play a game". Very bad things tend to happen when that gets said, usually fatal.

    Lee, you are amongst the best programmers in the world hence why GDC eventually caught up with you. Now we need a AAA FPSCR from one the industries leading lights.

    I know you will crack all of the challenges ahead and you must write a shader to handle dynamic shadows. Its probably the most highly requested feature amongst the community.

    Lee for the win at ultimate coder challenge this year with his new matrix technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that!
    One method that I use is to take 5 mins at the end of the day and make a shirt list of Tue key things you need to do tomorrow. Then when you start the next day you do the first thing on that list before you do ANYTHING else. It works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We also have our 2D artist producing mock-ups for the new IDE and map editor visuals as well, so hopefully I can show you the various themes we will be choosing from. The idea is to give FPSC a totally new modern look and of course resolve those little interface niggles we have come to know and love."

    Excellent! Just don't go all Windows 8-styling on us ;)

    ReplyDelete